Time line 19th and 20th century
Time Line – Nunthorpe 19th century
1801 Nunthorpe Hall Built in regency style.
1822 Nunthorpe in Parish of Great Ayton. Population 110.
1824 Chapel of Saint Mary built in gothic style added to Nunthorpe Hall.
1850 Isaac Wilson entrepreneur moves to Nunthorpe Hall
1853 Opening of Middlesbrough – Guisborough Railway.
1854 Isaac Wilson becomes Mayor of Middlesbrough.
1855 Nunthorpe's first school built by Isaac Wilson
1865 Grosmont – Picton railway connection opened.
1865 Grey Towers built by William Innes Hopkins
1867 William Innes Hopkins elected Mayor of Middlesbrough
1868 William Innes Hopkins elected for second year as Mayor of Middlesbrough.
During this period he received Prince Arthur at the opening of Albert Park.
1879 First Post Office opened in Nunthorpe Village....prior to this Great Ayton closest.
1879 William Hopkins after leading lavish life style falls on hard times following the Tay Bridge disaster ..Hopkins company had supplied the iron work for the Tay Bridge
1879 Grey Towers with 390 acres put up for auction but withdrawn at £30,000.
1880 Hopkins Company goes into liquidation.
1895 Grey Towers home of Sir Arthur Dorman and family 1895-1930’s.
1899 Death of Isaac Wilson.
1899 Nunthorpe Hall briefly occupied by Joseph Albert Pease M.P. The Pease family crest carved above main entrance.
Time Line Nunthorpe 20th century
1900 Nunthorpe’s Social life included dances held in barns of High Farm -now the site The Avenue Junior School.
1900 Nunthorpe continues to expand around the station area.
1903 Sir Arthur Dorman builds the new school and schoolhouse in (Church Lane), as old school was inadequate for the growing needs of Nunthorpe’s expanding population.
1904 Sir Arthur Dorman honoured with Freedom of Middlesbrough.
1904 Dorman Memorial Musuem and Albert Park built by Sir Arthur Dorman as a memorial to his youngest son George Lockwood Dorman who died in 1901 in the Boer War
1908 Nunthorpe Bowling Club opens on land between what is now Rookwood Road and Connaught Road bought for the community by John Ackroyd who charged a peppercorn rent on condition no alcohol consumed on the premises. ref page 15 Queenie Ward’s book.
1908 “unofficial “shops opened. Fosters at 17 Marton Moor Road, Princes at 12 Rookwood Road. (Access through their back doors!!)
1911 Congregationalist Church built in Rookwood Road. Foundation stone laid by A.J. Dorman Methodists also worshipped there.
1911. Records indicate that Nunthorpe station staff handled 349 polo ponies .These were then ridden down to the polo field
1913 Red Cottage, Guisborough Road listed in Kelly’s directory as home of Frederick Hansen and Marion Coates Hansen, suffragette and Middlesbrough Councillor
1914 Nunthorpe changes from being part of the ecclesiastical parish of Great Ayton and becomes a separate and larger parish by adding to it parts of the parish of Marton, Ormesby and Great Ayton.
1914 Contract given to Messrs John Thompson and Sons Ltd to build a new Church of England church.
1914 -1918 War Years. Nunthorpe War Memorial records names of Nunthorpe men who gave their lives.
1918 End of First World War.
1920 Nunthorpe Institute erected in Connaught Road. This building had begun as a First World War Army Hut in Stewart Park.
1924 New Nunthorpe Parish formed with an estimated population of 750 persons.
1926 Foundation stone laid for new church of St Mary The Virgin. by Sir Arthur Dorman.Contract given to Messrs John Thompson. Cost for Building risen by 250% to £12,500.
1926 St Marys Church dedicated. Old schoolmasters house becomes vicarage.
1926 Nunthorpe’s first Garage opened
1926 Old Schoolmasters House became Vicarage.
1930 O ‘Neill family, owners of Nuntorpe Hall give Cricket field to Nunthorpe (now upper part of Sports field ) Wooden Pavilion built
1931 14th February Death of Sir Arthur Dorman. A syndicate of buyers purchased Grey Towers together with 77 acres of parkland for £4,500.
1931 December. Alderman T.G. Poole purchased the house and land for £7,000 and presented the house and land to Middlesbrough for use as a sanatorium for tuberculosis sufferers.
1932 Priests stall and panelled choir seating installed in St Mary's church as a gift from Lady Dorman in memory of her husband.
1932 Poole Hospital opened by Mrs Pool (See copy of souvenir programme
1932 “Wilsons” in Rookwood Road opened.
1932 Post Office opened
1935 Greengrocer opened
1934 Nunthorpe Bowling Club moves to new premises near Nunthorpe Railway Station.
1936 Methodist Church purchased Rookwood Road chapel
1938 Foundation stone laid for Poole Hospital
1945 New Poole Sanitorium built.
1947 Childrens Ward opened at Poole Hospital
1939 Shops built in station area
1939- 1945 War Years
Nunthorpe was one of the areas around Teesside that protected the steel works and munitions factories from enemy bombs with anti-aircraft guns stationed near Nunthorpe Village at the junction between Stokesley and Ayton Road.
German Bombs fell harmlessly in a Nunthorpe field. Army manoeuvres carried out in Nunthorpe
Railway line often used when roads blocked with snow.
May 19th 1944Armoured Division passed along main road.
Nunthorpe ‘Dig for Victory’ at allotments on waste ground behind railway yard and behind shops.
1947 St Marys Church Lynch Gate Built as a memorial to all men of the parish who lost their lives in World War Two.
Street Lighting comes to Nunthorpe.
1950 Marton Moor Estate built.
1958 Wimpy connects the Avenue to Gypsy Lane.
1959 Avenue County Primary School opened. Built by North Yorkshire County Council.
1959 Increased population in Nunthorpe necessitates in New Methodist Church. Active local residents project to contribute to build cost of £33,000 .Residents asked to find as much as possible towards balance. rest met by Middlesbrough Circuit
1960 Nunthorpe Primary School in Guisborough Road opened.
1961 September 16th 1961.Methodist Church opened in Connaught Road.
1963 Avenue School built by North Riding County Council
1963 Nunthorpe Secondary School Opened became Comprehensive from 1973. Now in Borough of Redcar and Cleveland but open access to all Nunthorpe children
1965 Lady Harrison of Red Cottage donated 8.75 acres of her land on Guisborough Road to the communities of Nunthorpe, Marton and part of Ormesby for use as community playing fields.
1966 Nunthorpe Library Opened at a cost of £16,300 r
Replacing the Institute in Connaught Road, used since 1960
1968 Teesside County Borough formed. Now included the two newly formed districts of Middlesbrough and Langbaugh. The Middlesbrough to Whitby railway line chosen as the Ward boundary.
1972 Avenue School Opens a new Junior Department.
1973 St Bernadette’s Roman Catholic School opened.
1974 Cleveland County Council replaced Teesside County Borough
1976 Chandlers Ridge Primary School Opened.
1986 Nunthorpe Parish Council established.
1988 The Box, Guisborough Road controversially demolished. Previous owners include Mr and Mrs Gerald Cochrane, owners of Cochrane’s Iron Works and lifelong benefactors and workers for North Ormesby Hospital.
1990 Poole Hospital closed.
1994 Poole hospital grounds and bulldings, now seriously neglected damaged by deliberate arson attack
1999 Nunthorpe Library closed.
2002 Nuntorpe Residential Home for The Elderly opened.
2004 Nunthorpe Community Council formed.