Home

Purpose

Contact or join us

News, meetings and events

Nunthorpe History

Reminiscences

The Ironmasters

St Mary's Church

Nunthorpe Methodist Church

Nunthorpe Village

Nunthorpe Station

Nunthorpe Hall

Grey Towers

John Ross Postcards

Photo Album

Old Maps of Nunthorpe

Nunthorpe Walks map

Nunthorpe Timeline

NHG  Newsletters

Publications

Links

Acknowledgements

 

 

 

 

 

Nunthorpe History Group

Nunthorpe Railway Station 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

-

 

 

                        For larger image and image title click on thumbnail image

Click to view an interesting document on Nunthorpe Station in the 1890s by W.Huby

 

The Middlesbrough to Guisborough mineral line, completed in 1853, brought iron ore from Codhill Mine to Hutton Lowcross. With the extension of the mineral line in 1864 from Middlesbrough through to Great Ayton, the station at Nunthorpe became an important junction. Today the station is on the line serving the Esk Valley route from Middlesbrough to Whitby

Nunthorpe Railway Station opened for goods services in November 1853, and for passengers in February 1854, to serve the Esk Valley line from Middlesbrough to Whitby. The waiting room was previously attached by a canopy to the station masters house, the location of which can be seen by a scar on the brickwork.

Nunthorpe Station house was built in 1854 and a passenger service was introduced. The building is of red-brick with sash windows and an asymmetrical chimney stack with stone corbel. The sills are of stone and the lintels of brick. A typical railway building it adds to the character of the suburban area surrounding it.

 

back to top